It looks like the engineers and designers at DJI are constantly working on something cool.
A chinese blogger seemed to have leaked some very important photos regarding a new project called DJI SPARK.
We're not really sure if this is going to be a thing, or DJI will discontinue the project, but hear me out first.
They are going after the $300-$400 consumer market, if not lower.
This time the rummor has it that the new DJI Spark will be sort of a "Mini Mavic", a selfie drone, probably the size of an Iphone+.
The size will probably be 17 cm x 14 cm, which makes it very portable.
The propellers will be foldable, but the arms seem to be fixed, unlike the Mavic. But at this size, there's no complaint.
- It will have a 2-axis camera (probably a gimbal with no yaw axis)
- Infrared Obstacle Avoidance
- 17cm (L) x 14cm (W) (approximated)
- quick release folding propellers
- Down facing VIsual Positioning and sonar
- Might be compatible with the DJI FPV Goggles coming soon.
- The motors are obviously brushless
- Flight time of approx 15 minutes
- GPS + GLONASS like the Mavic
- Probably will have both a controller and can also be controlled through wi fi (or only wi fi)
I was never a big fan of 2 axis gimbals but thanks to the sonar sensors and VPS underneath the drone, this might actually get some really stable footage.
I'm not sure if there will be any electronic image stabilisation, but this drone is probably too small for that feat.
It's rummored to have a two lens camera with a wide angle to take better selfie pictures, and the video feed is rummored to be 5.8 ghz and the transmission is probably going to be 2.4 ghz
Again, the price hasn't been leaked, but if we compare it with other drones in this category(like the Dobby drone, Wingsland and Yuneec Breeze) it can't go higher than $400 for sure.
I mean, you can even find a Phantom 3 Standard for that price nowadays.